LOSS AND GRIEF COUNSELLING MELBOURNE (Moonee Ponds)
Grief is a natural human response to a significant loss. Big changes in a person’s life – the bigger the loss, the more intense the grief will be. Death of a loved one is usually the most intense type of grief. Common experiences of loss include:
- separation, divorce, access to children, geographical separation from family/friends
- losing a job, retirement, loss of financial stability
- miscarriage, infertility
- loss of health because of illness, disability or aging
- death of a pet
- loss of safety after trauma
- selling family home
- loss of freedom when becoming a carer of a person with an illness/disability
Everybody grieves differently depending of your personality, coping style, life experience, your belief system, and the nature of the loss. Grieving is a process towards healing.
Grief counselling will help you to recognise and acknowledge the emotional and physical reactions and responses to grief: anger, shock, confusion, sadness, and guilt, yearning for the loss, fear, isolation, stress, anxiety, depression, feeling numb and withdrawn, unable to perform your normal daily routines, recurrent thoughts of death, fatigue, and insomnia. Grief counselling will assist you to learn coping skills to deal with the cause of the grief – the loss. If left untreated, complicated grief and depression can lead to emotional damage, relationship break-downs, and life-threatening health problems.